This series is part of a monthly blog series about Frederick County businesses that grow and expand. It is a snapshot of Frederick County business success stories. Check back each month for more businesses that grow in Frederick County or read volumes 1-8.
National Cancer Institute (NCI) at Frederick
The NCI at Frederick is a community of more than 2,800 government and contractor-employed staff who work at several cancer research facilities including the 68-acre campus at Fort Detrick, the Advanced Technology Research Facility, the Vaccine Pilot Project and others.
The Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research was established as the Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center in 1972 when about 70 acres and 67 buildings of the U.S. Army were transferred to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which includes the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Since then, the NCI at Frederick has become an internationally recognized center of scientific excellence. This has been the result of the coordinated efforts of Government scientists and NCI-Frederick contractors working to achieve rapid progress in the race to cure cancer and AIDS.
In 1975, the National Science Foundation notified DHHS that NCI-Frederick met criteria for and was designated as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center. The Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR) is operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, for the National Cancer Institute (NCI) at Frederick, for the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The Frederick National Lab has a staff of 1,850 who are employed by Leidos.
The Advanced Technology Research Facility (ATRF) is a new, 330,000 square foot translational R&D facility located in Frederick, MD, consisting of advanced technology laboratories, biopharmaceutical development, and production facilities. The facility is designed to foster co-located partnership projects, with dedicated laboratory and “think tank” space for collaborative work with partners across a continuum of translational R&D technologies and platforms.
AGV Sports Group
AGV Sports Group was founded in Frederick in 1978 where they began designing and developing safety apparel for motorcycle road racing and sport use. In 1985, AGV licensed AGV Sport to make their own apparel and other products including leather gloves, suits, jackets, boots, and textile garments. AGV Sport products have consistently won best in class awards from numerous motorcycle publications around the world. AVG has grown to 10 employees since 1985 and has an annual revenue over a $1.5 million.
McCutcheon Apple Products
McCutcheon Apple Products was founded in 1938 by William O. McCutcheon, his son Robert J. McCutcheon and Robert’s wife Helen. Together, they purchased an apple press for $25 and acquired a small corner of property in downtown Frederick. They began custom pressing apples for local farmers. As the years went on, they began to make apple butter and apple cider under their own label. In the 1950’s they expanded with the construction of modern buildings to house their operations.
In 2007, McCutcheon's announced plans to expand with a 34,000 SF addition to house demonstration, new retail and other entertainment. Once the final phase of the Carroll Creek expansion is completed, the expansion would also include a water wheel and five-story observation tower.
Today, they produce and sell preserves, jellies, fruit butters, ciders, BBQ sauce, and much more manufactured from their current 75,000 SF facility. The products can be purchased in their factory store, at farmers markets across the country, and online worldwide. McCutcheon Apple Products has 25 employees and is still a family business, operated by the fourth generation of the McCutcheon family.